History of Blakesburg Public Library
On November 2, 1936, the Blakesburg City Council voted to organize a Public Library. The first Blakesburg Public Library was located in the basement of the bank building owned by John Huber. The City Council agreed to pay the cost of heat and lights, along with the rent, which was set at $5.00 per month. The first librarian was Zelma Glosser.
In May of 1943, the library moved to its second location with more room in a corner of the Fritz building. On March 2, 1981, the Library again moved to a new location -- this time to the East Side of the new Blakesburg Community Building. Glee Thompson served as library director for many years during this period, as did Garland Seaba.
Iowa's First Lady, Christie Vilsack visted the Blakesburg Public Library during her tour of 500 Iowa Public Libraries in Iowa during her husband's tenure as governor.
In June of 2006, the library doubled in size by moving into space vacated by the Blakesburg Fire Department in the West end of the Blakesburg Community Building. Tammy Snyder was the librarian overseeing the move. Rebecca Brittain later served as the librarian until 2014, when Cheryl Talbert took over as the library director.
A new partnership formed between the Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont Community Schools and the Blakesburg Public Library in June of 2014, when the library moved into two rooms at the former Blakesburg Elementary School at 407 S. Wilson Street. Library board members, members of the Friends of the Blakesburg Public Library and many others helped move books, shelves, computers, and supplies to its new home.
Since the move the library has added an additional children's room, and has room for three study tables, nine public access computers, and many other services. The Library Board of Trustees and Director have been working with the Friends of the Blakesburg Public Library to renovate a 2,350 square-foot building at 106 E. State Street, into a new, permanent home for the library.