You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

On November 2, 1936, the Blakesburg City Council voted to organize a Public Library.  The first Blakesburg Public Library was located in the basement of the bank building owned by John Huber. The City Council agreed to pay the cost of heat and lights, along with the rent, which was set at $5.00 per month. The first librarian was Zelma Glosser.

In May of 1943, the library moved to its second location with more room in a corner of the Fritz building. On March 2, 1981, the Library again moved to a new location -- this time to the East Side of the new Blakesburg Community Building.

In June of 2006, the library doubled in size by moving into space vacated by the Blakesburg Fire Department in the West end of the Blakesburg Community Building. Tammy Snyder was the librarian overseeing the move.

A new partnership formed between the Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont Community Schools and the Blakesburg Public Library in June of 2014, when the library moved into two rooms at the former Blakesburg Elementary School at 407 S. Wilson Street. Library board members, members of the Friends of the Blakesburg Public Library and many others helped move books, shelves, computers, and supplies to its new home.

Library Director Cheryl Talbert and Assistant Director Chris Johnson have worked with the school to provide library services for students in Preschool through 6th Grade. Since the move the library has added an additional children's room, and has room for three study tables, 10 public access computers, and many other services.

In looking to the future, the library would like to build a new, permanent home within the next five to six years. The planning process, involving all community stakeholders will begin soon.